Skin Resurfacing Treatments are a skin rejuvenation treatment to reduce the appearance of aging or to treat certain skin conditions.
Skin Resurfacing Treatments can make a dramatic improvement in the way you look. For relatively little effort, you could take years off of your appearance.
Treatment intensity varies and is customized to meet your skin needs. During a consultation, we will review recommendations and options with you.
Southlake Dermatology is proud to offer:
- Trichloroacetic Acid Peel (TCA)
- Vitalize Peel
- SkinPen Micro Therapy
- Theraplex Salicylic Acne Peel
- Rejuvenize Peel
- Plasma IQ
To learn more and see a full list of services, click here.
What are Skin Resurfacing Treatments Used For?
Skin Resurfacing Treatments are used to enhance the appearance and texture of the skin. They help address for acne, wrinkles, aging and pigmentation.
Skin responds to the chemical ingredients used in the various types of treatments. When a layer of skin is removed, the skin rejuvenates itself and builds a fresh new layer of skin cells. This results in a more youthful appearance that is devoid of the skin imperfections that were targeted.
Among other uses, cosmetic peels are used for:
- Uneven skin tone
Types of Skin Resurfacing Treatments
Skin Resurfacing Treatments fall under three categories; light, medium, and deep. The variations designate how deeply the ingredients in the peel formulation penetrate the skin.
- Light treatments. Light treatments remove only the outermost layer of the skin, called the epidermis. This type of treatments treats dryness, fine lines and wrinkles, acne, and uneven skin tone. Most dermatologists recommend repeat treatments no more than once every two to five weeks.
- Medium treatments. Medium treatments penetrate to the depth of the upper layer of the dermis. Medium treatments are used to treat things like acne scars, average wrinkles, and uneven skin pigmentation brought about by sun damage or other reasons. More than one treatment may be needed to reach full effect.
- Deep treatments. Even with a deep treatments, the formulation will only reach a safe depth of the skin. Deep treatments may be recommended to treat older, deeper wrinkles, certain benign skin growths, or scars. Typically, only one session of a deep treatments is needed to obtain results.
Am I a Candidate for Skin Resurfacing Treatments?
Young adults and older adults are good candidates for Skin Resurfacing Treatments, as long as there are no underlying skin conditions that could be negatively impacted by the process. For instance, open, blistering acne breakouts would not respond well to these treatments.
Others who may not be a good candidate include anyone who:
- Has a history of overdevelopment of scar tissue
- Is pregnant
- Has chronic cold sore breakouts
- Takes certain prescription medication
Skin Resurfacing Treatments are done in your dermatologist’s office. They do require some healing time, so this is not a treatment that would be appropriate to have done during your work lunch hour.
After a treatment, the skin will be red, swollen, and tender to the touch. Your dermatologist will provide after-care instructions with details.
There is typically a recovery time of up to two weeks, depending upon what type of treatment you received. If you are getting a treatment to improve your appearance for a certain event, such as a wedding, you should schedule your treatment well in advance so that your skin has enough time to heal properly.
Skin Resurfacing Treatments are straightforward treatments and are available at Southlake Dermatology.